Freitag, 30. März 2007

Grenada

This morning we lifted the anchor at 0630 to get from St. Davids Harbour to the Capital of Grenada, St. Georges. Its a nice little lagoon with the town build around the water. You just drop your anchor in the middle of the town. Here we checked out from Grenada (its Friday and we want to be in the Grenadines by Monday) and got some food. At 1400 we set sail to the north of Grenada and now we are safely anchored behind Isle de Ronde. Our aim for tomorrow is the next beautiful Island around the corner.
Axel

When approaching St George´s today I was looking very puzzled... When I started my trip 3 yrs ago I stopped there, had told Axel it was a run-down town but now we were looking at freshly painted houses everywhere, colourful new roofs, not many trees, all the debris from the broken down jetty cleared from the lagoon...did I remember this place at all?? Now Axel is looking at me thinking I´ve totally lost my memory! Thankfully a cruiser who has been in St G´s for the last 5 yrs cleared my confusion - 6 months after my visit hurricane Ivan hit the town TWICE and totally devastated it! This cruiser was one of only 5 boat owners out of dozens whose boat wasn´t destroyed - he gave us some excellent tips should we ever be preparing to face a hurricane when in harbour! His first hand account of being caught in a hurricane was frightening.

Also ironically 3 yrs ago there was a also cricket being played there, in Granville. That time it was a Cricket Classic with all the old and greats from cricket playing in a veterans game which I went to see and met people like Graham Gooch, Viv Richards and even took Syd Lawrence out for a sail! Today Ireland were playing England. Go the Irish!

Night night
Em x

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

Keine Kommentare: